Thursday, August 10, 2023

First Week Activities

 

First Week Activities

I am overwhelmed with ideas to start this year. So far I am thinking about Investigating the Teacher Challenge, Personality Tests, Getting to Know You activities, A Million Words, a Student Survey, Speed Dating, One Word creative activity and then the typical "getting set-up" stuff!  Oh boy....

One thing I know for sure is that I like the students to get started with working in groups right away. I have tables in the classroom, rather than traditional school desks. Students are a minimum of sitting with at least one other person during class. This means working in groups and collaborating.


This is an old but goody that I think I will keep.  











I 100% need to use the idea shared by A Grace Filled Classroom by asking students "What Kind of Teacher Do You Want?" 









And using the idea of My Job & Your Job shared by The Hawk Nest where students discuss jobs they might have and the jobs I might have as the teacher. 









And then every time I read about one first-week activity, I find another. Math Equals Love shares an activity to work on group norms that is called Broken Circles. I REALLY want to give this one a go! And I really need to look at all of the Beginning of the Year Activities that Math Equals Love shares because I think there are many activities to use throughout the year...especially when I change up groups.

I think I need to look at LEARNING STATIONS to get this year going!

Learning Stations

What are possible LEARNING STATIONS:
  • Getting to Know You - These may be too long to be a station.
  • Personality Test or Learning Style - The cut and paste Learning Style might take too long and the reflection activity for each would be too long.
  • Student Survey
  • One Word creative activity - Students pick one word to define their upcoming year or goal. 
  • Review the Syllabus  - Students review the syllabus and find key info.
  • Meet the Teacher - Could I coordinate it enough that I could a station?
  • A Million Words - Students could preview this assignment and get a copy to bring home.
  • Complete the "Sticky Notes" for the class posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment