Thursday, August 10, 2023

Rethinking Homework (again)

 The Homework Struggle Is Real

Another school year is about to start and once again I am thinking about homework. Yep...year 20 something and homework is still on my mind.

My Current Practice

Students typically have homework four times a week for math class. This is equivalent to the number of times we meet each week. 

The number of problems varies but averages between 10 and 15 problems. The typical assignment asks students to complete the evens from an assigned practice sheet. 

The expectation is all work is shown for full credit. Failure to show work or complete at least 1/2 of the problems results in a 0. Students either earn a 0 or a 1 from completed homework. 

Students are expected to turn in work at the start of class. As they enter the classroom, students self-grade their homework (answers are shared in Google Classroom). They are expected to correct their work and be sure to record correct answers and steps for any problems they may not have gotten correct or understood at home.

Once the work is self-graded, students move on to the Homework Check (also in Google Classroom). Here students are asked:

  • How much of the homework did you complete? If students choose "I skipped problems, they are asked why this was the case. If students choose "I did not complete the homework.", they are then asked to provide a reason as to why this was the case. 
  • Did you get all the problems correct? If students choose "No" they are moved to select either "I know my mistake.", "I am still not sure of my mistake." or "I skipped this problem originally but now I know my mistake."
  • Lastly, students are asked to rate themselves based on the standards for that specific practice.  This is an image of the rating system I use:
 
  • All student results are then viewable in a Google Sheet for me to review.  I can now connect with students individually to review specific struggles or look at common struggles that need to be discussed as a class. This process of checking homework has saved time in the classroom and has helped students to better share struggles (rather than sharing them aloud).
  • Homework is not accepted later unless there is a specific reason that has been discussed with me. 

My Homework Struggles

  • I am not happy with a 0 or 1 as a grade. If a student does 1/2 of the practice, they don't deserve a 0 nor do they warrant the 1. Giving a 1 gives the perception that the student is completing all practice work. This does not help me if/when I am looking to share updates with parents or look for ways to support a student in improvements. Do I develop a rubric?
  • I would like to develop a plan for accepting late work. The challenge is answers are posted. And I like to keep answers posted for those students who may want to complete/correct additional problems. What is a workaround to allow for late credit?  What grade do they deserve?

No comments:

Post a Comment