Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Grades are Closing.

Quarter 2 is coming to a close and the frenzy begins. 

Students have been flurrying to class asking for extra credit.  The simple answer to that response is the school ruling is there is no extra credit. "What can I do to get my grade up?"  And with only a few days left and not enough time to prepare, "Can I retake this?"   

Different this year is the students can see their percentages for their final grades.  Previously, letter grades were posted.

So why write about this?  My mind is going in circles. 

I understand that yearning for a higher grade.  I too am one of those students who is grade driven.  I want to earn that A.  

I also understand that the focus should be on the learning. When a student is not looking to progress in their learning and solely wants to earn those last few points, I get discouraged.  Why can't they be concerned with their learning? 

As I think about this, I keep reflecting back on who I am as a student.  When there are percentages involved then I want the highest percentage possible.  When the percentages are removed, I focus on doing my best.  Wouldn't it be nice to have percentages removed? 

Even better.....

Wouldn't it be nice to remove the traditional grades? 

No comments:

Post a Comment