Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Who am I?

PMAI Score

 Sage – 28
Warrior - 24
Seeker - 21
Caregiver - 21
Innocent - 20
Creator - 20
Jester - 19
Ruler - 19
Orphan - 18
Magician - 17
Lover - 17
Destroyer - 11


At first glance of the PMAI results, I saw Sage, Warrior, Seeker, Destroyer and Caregiver all in bold and immediately thought of these areas as strengths.  This left Innocent, Creator, Jester, Ruler, Orphan, Magician and Lover as my weaknesses.  The common quote “Sage on the stage” and the negativity associations with the terms warrior and destroyer could not be good qualities of a leader.  And all the terms associated as with being a good, fun and loving person appeared to be stuck in the middle; Innocent, Creator, Jester, Magician and Lover.  Without having knowledge of the various archetypes, I developed an immediate concern as to who I was as a person.  For this reason, I couldn’t wait to learn about the Peason-Marr Archetype Indicator (2002).

            To begin my reading, I decided to focus on the bolded areas which I quickly learned were the archetypes most and least active in my currently life’s journey. If the Sage is active in your life, you assume that "the truth will set you free." (Pearson & Marr, 2002)  An initial sense of relief came over me as this is a quote which is true to my beliefs and life today.

            With the Sage in my life I tend to show wisdom, nonattachment, knowledge and skepticism and I can be overly critical, or lack empathy at times. In Carol Burbank’s Archetypes, Story and Leadership Webinar (2013), certain there were notes which certainly hit home for me. Sages like details, questions, mysteries, and research.  We like to have all of order and like to persuade others with logic, reason and proof.  Sages do not enjoy small talk and get can get restless in situations where it is apparent.  Sages tend to get comfortable in areas which we are protected and when those protections are removed we are pushed outside of our realm.  The message to balance my life with the archetypes of the Jester and Orphan has been made. This includes being able to go with the flow and realize that sometimes decisions need to be made immediately and cannot wait for research or data; sometimes I will need to go with the feelings or insights of the group.

“If the Warrior is active in your life, you assume that the tough prevail.” (Pearson & Marr, 2002) The appearance of the archetype story provides me with discipline, courage, determination and skill but I can appear as ruthless.  As an individual and leader, I have the outward appearance of being tough, competent, and in control; certainly not weak. In teaming situations, I am often the goal setter and motivator. If the group can’t make a decision, I consistently ask if what we doing is best for students. This is my mantra for students and leading in the building.  However, there are times when this Warrior archetype is a front for the true person that I am inside. To those who I truly do not let into the true life of Katrina Hall, there the appearance of being a strong, decisive and ready to compete at all times. And it is those individuals who only see me in roles where I can seem as ruthless, and without regard to feelings.  However, for those who I trust to let into the personal life of which I live they will see the other side of Katrina Hall; the Caregiver.

As a mother of three, the archetype of Caregiver is one which cannot be avoided; nurturance, compassion and generosity.  As a Caregiver leader, I am able to observe the stress or anxieties in group situations and like to help individuals work through such challenges.  My family is number one to me and the story line of the Warrior can certainly be seen if my family is being challenged.  This is also true of individuals who are friends, students and team members; they are considered my family.  When individuals are essential or key aspects to my life and work then I ensure they are cared for.  This makes me think wonder if the archetypes of Warrior and Caregiver will forever be a part of my life’s cycle.

Within my current life’s journey one can certainly see the archetype of the Seeker; “the grass is always greener somewhere else” (Pearson & Marr, 2002).  Ever sense I can remember this archetype has been present in my life.  I tend to be an individual who does not follow the crowd and is certainly is not willing to wait for the crowd.  The Seeker in me tends to set my eye on something and go for it. I am often quoted as saying, “Let’s try it” as I am always willing to try out new ideas. The worse that can happen is failure and a chance to try again.  I see life as a way to strive for perfection; if that is possible.

The Destroyer in archetype appears to be least active in my life.  However, during times of turmoil and change I must say that I have seen these characteristics rise.  During times of personal challenges, very rarely do I let others see the hurt or pain I am feeling.  And there have been times when there has been an injustice in the community, world, or workplace where I have thought that the individuals will get what they deserve; karma.  However, I would hope never to see the extremes of the Destroyer in my life’s cycle as they tend to be characteristics of individuals who are harmful to themselves and to others.

Underlying the high activity and lack of activity of the archetypes mentioned, lay the archetypes of the Innocent, Creator, Jester, Ruler, and Orphan.  Happily I have the archetypes to inspire and have empathy for others, to use my skills to be creative and take control when chaos reigns, and to be happy, and laugh. Knowing that these archetypes may not be at their highest levels right now in my life but they are there when I need them is comforting in itself as I see these as qualities which any team player or leader should have.

Currently, I tend to put aside my own needs; physically and emotionally. Putting others first tends to be a priority; and I often fail to accept the help of others.  I am definitely one who can spread myself thin but working beyond what is necessary; ensuring all cared for. Taking the time to enjoy the moment and not worry about what is next is an area I can certainly work on.  Ensuring that I take time for myself and saying “no” to the extra tasks are some of the archetypes I would like to cycle more frequently into my life.

            The PMAI results have provided me with insight into developing in my leadership style and life’s journey.  Within my workplace, staff members often see me as an advisor and look for me to lead the way in tough situations.  However, I do understand that there are times when I need to stop, listen and learn. Winning is not everything and I should focus on choosing my battles.  Can I decrease my focus on winning, striving for perfection, and motivating the team? I am not sure but I can see ways in which I can balance these archetypes when leading. 

            The results of the PMAI, proved to be thought provoking and insightful.  Burbank’s webinar made it clear to me that my world as leader is not stagnant but instead an ever changing story of what has happened, what is happening and what will happen in life.  The Caregiver and Warrior archetypes are my survival skills.  The Seeker is my expression of self.  The Sage is what supports me in “living authentically, making a positive contribution to the world while also experiencing personal fulfillment” (Pearson & Marr, 2002).  It would be intriguing to learn about the individuals with whom I work with to so see how we may or may not balance one another and where they are in their journeys of life.  Who are the archetypes I am working with?

References
Pearson, C., & Marr, H. K. (2002). Introduction to Archetypes: A Companion for Understanding and Using the Pearson-Marr Archetype Indicator Instrument. Center for Applications of Pyschological Type.

Burbanks, Carol. (2013). Archetypes, Story and Leadership Webinar [Webinar]. Retrieved from http://elearn.une.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-748888-dt-content-rid-5086188_1/courses/21581-201402-EDU-801-A2/EDU%20801%20Burbank%20Webinar%20Thurs%209-26-13%207.55%20PM.mov

No comments:

Post a Comment