Friday, January 30, 2015

Keeping a Journal

Keeping a journal has never been a consistent habit for me. Thinking back to years when all of my friends wrote in the journals, I attempted to join in the common girl activity but never kept up with regular writing. This has behavior has followed me into adulthood.

Currently, I have a three-year memory book where I write one sentence to represent a thought or memory for each given day. Just this past month, I realized I had forgotten about this book. When I opened up the book to write inside, I quickly realized that my writings were all very emotional entries. I tend to journal and record when I have very emotional to express; otherwise the entries are blank. Knowing I do not have a history of consistency with keeping a journal, I am looking for strategies to help me keep consistent with writing. How can I make journal writing a habit and not one more thing to do?

I started a research journal. Actually, I started two research journals; one in electronic form and one in paper form. When journaling it is much easier to express thoughts and reflect using a computer; typing is so much cleaner and faster than writing by hand. The challenge I have run into is that I do not have a computer with me every time I have the need to write. This has led to the use of a paper journal. As a traditional Type A personality, having two journals is not something I am comfortable with; I feel disorganized and disjointed. What suggestions do others have to better organize my journal keeping?

As for journal content, it is reflective informative and valuable to me as I look back. Stevens and Cooper (2009) mention one of the values of writing is to help a researcher understand their personal values and beliefs to ensure a clear perception when collecting data. Truly this is not something I had considered. Journal writing has been a place where for keeping notes, questions and ideas for 

Stevens and Cooper (2009) offer a list of journal possibilities, which are down to earth and possible. The suggestions to keep areas for lists, logs, notes, and research focus are all valuable and possible. However, my brain is questioning again. What is the best method; paper or electronic? What strategies do others use to ensure consistent writing?
           

Stevens, D. & Cooper, J. (2009). Journal Keeping: How to Use Reflective Writing for Learning, Teaching, Professional Insight and Positive Change. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing, LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment